3. Choose the option that best conveys the message in - ‘I am because we are.’
4. What qualities do the birds and squirrels display when they warn others of possible danger? Choose one option from the following:
6. A Portmanteau words like smog (smoke + fog), is a blend of words in which parts of multiple words are combined into a new word. From the options given below, select a Portmanteau word that appears in the para VI.
11. II. Read the passage given below.
I. Research from the Publishers Association has shown that films based on books take 44% more at the box office revenue in the UK and 53% more worldwide than original screenplays. The report explores what impact a book has when adapted for film and TV.
Based on your understanding of the passage, answer any six out of the eight questions by choosing the correct option.
14. According to the research, the films based on books have greater success because____.
B. the films get the advantage of the fame of the books.
C. it takes less effort for people to watch films than read books.
D. the films get a ready-made script from the books.
15. Select the option listing what the given sentence refers to. ‘Films adapted from books also tend to have a richer, more fully-developed story to draw on.’
16. On what from the following were the maximum TV serials in UK in the year 2017 based?
B. historical stories.
C. original true stories.
D. previous films.
17. This passage lists an example proving that TV dramas based on literary works have_______. Select the correct option.
19. The hospital board clearly mentioned that you ________ smoke in the hospital as it is a health hazard for all.
21. I am taking driving lessons now. Hopefully, I ___________my driving test by November.
22. Which option displays the correct change of the following to reported speech? Sunitha asked Venkat, “How much is the rent for your flat?”
23. Which option displays the correct change of the following to reported speech? She said, “I told Damanjit to send you an e-mail three days ago.”
You are Debashree, a resident of Siliguri, Assam. You have to write a letter to the editor of a national daily drawing attention towards the difficulty faced by differently-abled people at tourist places.
27. Which option should Debashree select, to elaborate on the difficulties faced by the differently-abled?
28. Debashree shares some suggestions in her letter, to address the issue. Select the option that helps her complete these suggestions, appropriately. In my opinion, the media can play a pivotal role in transforming people’s
A. Yes, to Option (1) because of the authoritative tone.
30. Select the option that completes the concluding line appropriately. I hope that my letter will ………………
V. Read the given extract to attempt the questions that follow: But the decades of oppression and brutality had another unintended effect, and that was that it produced the Oliver Tambos, the Walter Sisulus, the Chief Luthulis, the Yusuf Dadoos, the Bram Fischers, the Robert Sobukwes of our times — men of such extraordinary courage, wisdom and generosity that their like may never be known again. Perhaps it requires such depths of oppression to create such heights of character. My country is rich in the minerals and gems that lie beneath its soil, but I have always known that its greatest wealth is its people, finer and truer than the purest diamonds. It is from these comrades in the struggle that I learned the meaning ofcourage. Time and again, I have seen men and women risk and give their lives for an idea.
34. When Nelson Mandela says, “I have seen men and women risk and give their lives for an idea.”, he means that they are…………
35. Select the suitable word from the extract to complete the following: depths: heights : : compassion : .
VI. Read the given extract to attempt the questions that follow:
Let me put it more clearly, since no one will believe that a thirteen-year-old girl is completely alone in the world. And I’m not. I have loving parents and a sixteen-year-old sister, and there are about thirty people I can call friends. I have a family, loving aunts and a good home. No, on the surface I seem to have everything, except my one true friend. All I think about when I’m with friends is having a good time. I can’t bring myself to talk about anything but ordinary everyday things.
(From the Diary of Anne Frank)
36. Why does Anne feel the following? …no one will believe that a thirteen-year-old girl is completely alone in the world.
2) People rejected the idea of loneliness.
3) She had several friends.
4) She had a cheerful personality.
5) Her life was comfortable.
Choose the correct option from the following:
B. (1), (3) and (4)
C. (2) and (3)
D. (2), (4) and (5)
37. Select the most appropriate option for (1) and (2).
39. Select the option which displays an example of ‘having a good time’.
(A) He is out for a picnic with his friends and they are laughing and singing together.
(B) He is studying hard for the periodic test the following day to improve his scores.
(C) He is trying to convince his father to purchase the latest video games for him.
(D) He just rescued an injured puppy and is tending to its wounds.
40. What do we get to know about Anne when she says the following? I can’t bring myself to talk about anything but ordinary everyday things Choose one from the following to answer:
43. The boy is learning how to stand up… This means that he is learning to be in the face of difficulties.
IX. Attempt the following.
52. Which option correctly replaces the underlined phrase in the give line from Fire and Ice? I hold with those who favour fire.
54. Peggy often gave a nudge to one of her friends when she spoke to Wanda in the school yard. This meant that she wanted her friend to ___________________.
57. In the poem A Tiger in the Zoo, what does the tiger’s ‘quiet rage’, indicate? It indicates that the tiger’s anger is
59. Anil’s carelessness made stealing from him _____________for Hari Singh.