|Number of cells at|
|Number of cells at|
|Number of nuclei left in|
3. The coconut water from tender coconut is
Identify the correct stage of development of human embryo (Figure B) that takes place at the site X, Y and Z respectively in the human female reproductive system (Figure A).
|B||Unfertilized egg||Fertilized egg||Morula|
|C||Blastocyst||Fertilized egg||Unfertilized egg|
10. In the dioecious aquatic plant shown, identify the characteristics of the male flowers that reach the female flowers for pollination:
|Size of the flower||Colour of flower||Characteristic feature of pollengrain|
|A||small||brightly coloured||Light weight and non-sticky|
|B||large||colourless||large and sticky|
|C||small||white||small, covered with mucilage|
14. Which of the following amino acid substitution is responsible for causing sickle cell anemia?
B. Valine is substituted by Glutamic acid in the β globin chain at seventh position
C. Glutamic acid is substituted by Valine in the α globin chain at the sixth position
D. Glutamic acid is substituted by Valine in the β globin chain at the sixth position
15. In human beings, where genotype AABBCC represents dark skin colour, aabbcc represents light skin colour and AaBbCc represents intermediate skin colour; the pattern of genetic inheritance can be termed as:
16. Which of the following combination of chromosome numbers represents the correct sex determination pattern in honey bees?
B. Male 16, Female 32
C. Male 31, Female 32
D. Female 32, Male 31
17. Rajesh and Mahesh have defective haemoglobin due to genetic disorders. Rajesh has too few globin molecules while Mahesh has incorrectly functioning globin molecules.Identify the disorder they are suffering from.
|A.||Sickle cell anaemia – an autosome linked recessive trait||Thalassemia – an autosome linked dominant trait|
|B.||Thalassemia – an autosome linked recessive blood disorder||Sickle cell anaemia – an autosome linked recessive trait|
|C.||Sickle cell anemia – an autosome linked recessive trait||Thalassemia – an autosome linked recessive blood disorder|
|D.||Thalassemia – an autosome linked recessive blood disorder||Sickle cell anaemia – an autosome linked dominant trait|
22. Oswald Avery, Colin MacLeod and Maclyn McCarty used enzymes to purify biochemicals such as proteins, DNA and RNA from the heat-killed S cells to see which ones could transform live R cells into S cells in Griffith's experiment. They observed that
28. Assertion: When the two genes in a dihybrid cross are situated on the same chromosome, the proportion of parental gene combinations is much higher than nonparental type.
29. Concentration of which of the following substances will decrease in the maternal blood as it flows from embryo to placenta through the umbilical cord?
32. During parturition, a pregnant woman is having prolonged labour pains and child birth has to be fastened. It is advisable to administer a hormone that can
33. A female undergoing IVF treatment has blocked fallopian tubes. The technique by which the embryo with more than 8 blastomeres will be transferred into the female for further development is
36. A cross is made between tall pea plants having green pods and dwarf pea plants having yellow pods. In the F2 generation, out of 80 plants how many are likely to be tallplants?
37. In Antirrhinum, RR is phenotypically red flowers, rr is white and Rr is pink. Select the correct phenotypic ratio in F1 generation when a cross is performed between RR X Rr:
38. What would be the genotype of the parents if the offspring have the phenotypes in 1:1 proportion?
39. What is the pattern of inheritance in the above pedigree chart?
40. A couple has two daughters. What is the probability that the third child will also be a female?
42. Total number of nucleotide sequences of DNA that codes for a hormone is 1530. The proportion of different bases in the sequence is found to be Adenine = 34%, Guanine = 19%, Cytosine = 23%, Thymine = 19%. Applying Chargaff’s rule, what conclusion can be drawn?
43. A stretch of an euchromatin has 200 nucleosomes. How many bp will there be in the stretch and what would be the length of the typical euchromatin?
45. If Meselson and Stahl's experiment is continued for sixth generations in bacteria, the ratio of Heavy strands 15N/15N :Hybrid15N/14N : light 14N/14N containing DNA in the sixth generation would be
B. (i). Promotor (ii) Elongation (iii) Regulation (iv) Termination.
C.(i) Capping (ii) Polyadenylation (iii) mGppp (iv) Poly(A). (iv) Poly(A).
D. (i) Repressor (ii) Co repressor (iii) Operon (iv) sRelease factors
48. There was a mix-up at the hospital after a fire accident in the nursery division. Which of these children belong to the parents?
53. For subject 2 it is observed that the peak for hormone B has reached the plateau stage. After approximately how much time will the curve for hormone B descend?
B. ii, iii ,iv, v
C. iii, iv, v
D. iv, iii, i
Which of the following conclusions can be drawn on the basis of this cross? When yellow bodied (y), white eyed (w) Drosophila females were hybridized with brown bodied (y+), red eyed males (w+) and F1 progenies were intercrossed, F2 generation would have shown the following ratio:
59. Origin of replication of DNA in E. coli is shown below, Identify the labelled parts (i),(ii), (iii) and (iv)