Define the term ‘Political Party’. Explain with examples, the need of political parties in India.
A political party is a group of people who come together to contest elections and hold power in the government. They agree on some policies and programmes for the society with a view to promote
the collective good.
Need of Political party in India-
- All democracies have political parties. Democracy is meaningless if citizens do not have a choice between different parties in elections.
- Rise of political parties is directly linked to the emergence of representative democracies. Large societies need representative democracies.
- Large and complex societies need some agency to gather different views on various issues and to formulate policies.
- People need some ways to bring various representatives together so that a responsible government can be formed.
- A mechanism is needed to make policies, implement them, justify or oppose them. Political parties fulfil this need of every representative democracy.